- Title: Data Center Field Engineer
- Code: SPO-VON-2580-1
- Location: Holmdel New Jersey (NJ) 07733
- Posted Date: 08/12/2019
- Duration: 3 Months
- Name:Shailesh Sargara
- Email: Shailesh.Sargara@rangam.com
- Phone: 908-704-8843 ✖ 219
Reporting to the Sr. Technical Manager of Data Center Operations, The Data Center Field Engineer III must be an independent thinker and be able to use their own judgment when faced with tough situations.
The Field Engineer III will primarily travel to remote sites to install, document and test various types of infrastructure, such as servers, switches, routers and all types of network fiber and copper cabling. Other responsibilities of the Data Center Field Engineer III position also include, but are not limited to, power and circuit installation, colocation management and managing remote hands as requested from inside and outside groups. This position is for third shift 10PM – 6AM, but will initially start 1st shift for 1 month with hours from 8am - 5PM Monday - Friday. After 1 month training the position will require up to 50% travel. Its primary location will be in Holmdel, NJ.
Essential Job Functions
• Must be able to work night shift and be on call 24/7.
• Must be able to think independently and exercise discretion during the normal course of their daily work
• Install standard equipment, such as, servers, routers, switches, etc
• Ensure all equipment and/or cable installed is properly documented
• Perform mid-level maintenance on equipment. Add/replace memory modules, router modules, HBA’s cards, etc
• Create plans and diagrams to meet install requirements
• Work closely with internal and external agencies, contractors and vendor technicians
• Respond quickly to incidences, requests for change and work orders
• Use supplied test equipment
• Foster development of the more junior data center staff through the knowledge management tools, and personalized one-on-one training
• Identify and recommend change, secure buy in from internal stakeholders and remedy shortcomings in the physical plant elements in the existing deployment of data centers.
• Critically examine each network design for potential failures not conceived of by design and implementation engineers, prior to assignment and roll out
• Identify appropriately skilled, internal or external, resources to achieve the design requirements
• Collect sufficient understanding of the business needs per project to balance the competing project installations to satisfy the most critical needs first
• Working knowledge of HVAC (CRAC) systems
• Meet OSHA safety requirements
Specific Requirements (Technical Knowledge, Software, Etc.)
Requires years of combined inside and outside plant distribution with particular emphasis in extended data center specific inside plant work or the equivalent.
• Understanding of key technologies:
• Understand National Electric Code as it relates to our equipment.
• Broad understanding of DC and AC power systems sufficient to be the primary installer of branch AC and DC power systems in our data centers.
• A high level of understanding of the TIA/EIA standards.
• A high level of understanding of the BICSI standards.
• A high level of understanding of the local building codes.
• A+ Certification is a plus.
• Full understanding and proven ability to ensure proper site documentation.
• Demonstrated expertise in vertical and horizontal premise cabling and wiring.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an unstructured environment with management oversight.
• Experience with physical install and maintenance of servers, routers and cabling; category, coax, and fiber.
• Must be capable of terminating Cat5e and coaxial cable
• Strong Knowledge of tools used to support equipment installs.
• Must understand and be able to properly utilize the testing equipment available.
• Must have a high level of technical knowledge and the ability to handle non-routine installations and equipment maintenance.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of MS Office, MS Word, MS Visio