- Title: Greenhouse & Lab Assistant
- Code: RCI-9540
- Location: Durham North Carolina (NC) 27709
- Posted Date: 11/28/2019
- Duration: 12 Months
Work schedule 8am to 5pm Friday to Tuesday each week.
Greenhouse and Lab Assistant
The Greenhouse and Lab Assistant role requires extensive greenhouse and growth chamber work in addition to seeds laboratory support.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Will work in a greenhouse and seed laboratory setting to carry out tasks associated with cross pollination of numerous crops, seeding from preparation of soil, leave sample, spray rates and maintenance of plant from beginning to harvesting
- Keep accurate records
- Will collaborate with staff while continuously contributing to a highly productive and cohesive team environment
- Will reflect strong business ethics and reliability by consistently paying close attention to details and carrying out tasks with a high level of accuracy and transparent feedback
- Business maturity and communication is critical.
- Must have the ability to communicate well at all levels and work either in a team and/or independent setting to accomplish work.
- Must have the ability to stand up and ask relevant questions to ensure clear communication.
- Must not be afraid to ask questions in this environment.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours from 25 hours to 40 hours per week based on workload and business need.
- This may also include some weekends if there is a business need.
- BS in Science
- Valid driver's license required
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Perform general greenhouse work independently, such as making pots and flats, planting, watering, fertilizing, tying/trimming plants for upkeep, seed harvesting, seed threshing, seed counting and maintaining various crop plants according to specific protocols as directed by Greenhouse Specialist and Program Specialist.
- Maintain and clean greenhouses and work areas.
- Assist with collection of plant tissue samples under supervision, according to specific protocols.
- Utilize data management applications to collect and record data, under supervision.
- Use electronic equipment (barcode scanners, cameras, seed threshers and seed counters)
- Perform pest control including: insect scouting, pesticide/herbicide application, beneficials release, and integrated pest management techniques.
- Comply with Stewardship and Biosafety requirements and QMS directives and protocols
- o Follow SOPs/Work Instructions
- o Operate equipment and maintain appropriate documentation
- High school diploma with experience in agriculture, plant biology or equivalent preferred.
- Willingness to work in greenhouse environment with understanding of plant growth and development.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to identify and communicate problems and deviations.
- Demonstrated ability to follow defined procedures and work in a team environment.
- Organized and can work with minimal supervision. Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in computer skills: Microsoft Office and databases.
- Able to work 40 hours per week in fluctuating climates and lift 50 pounds.