- Title: Animal Care Technician
- Code: RCI-09072
- Location: North Chicago Illinois (IL) 60064
- Posted Date: 07/31/2020
- Duration: 12 Months
Talk to our Recruiter
- Name:Sumit Rawat
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 908-704-8843 ✖ 232
Shift Timings: 6:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Important Updates from the Manager
- This is an onsite job starting from day 1
- Would work 7 days a week because animals need care on weekends as well
- University or pharma experience would work
- Folks that have a true passion and caring for animals
- Would be lifting 50 pound bags of Animal food
- Animal care and veterinary support
- Experience with animals is great, Petco, PetSmart, vet clinic etc.
- Would prefer biologist more than a chemist
- Would be taking care of rats, mice, dogs, fish
- High school diploma or bachelor’s degree will work
- Self-starters, energetic individual needed
- Maintains the vivarium and support areas through proper execution of assigned tasks.
- Directly performs the daily activities involved with cleaning and spraying cages, disinfecting and sanitizing equipment, and stocking supplies. Follows department procedures, to include but not be limited to: cage cleaning, room sanitation, equipment preparation and moving, and cage changes.
- Maintains daily husbandry tasks through proper execution of training materials and assigned tasks.
- Directly performs animal handling, carrying and holding animal cages and animals, using and moving carts, hoses or any other lab equipment and supplies.
- Follows department procedures to provide comprehensive observation and handling of various research animals. Assists with the receiving and housing of research animals; including preparing for the housing activity. Documents tasks in both written and electronic platforms in accordance with regulatory expectations.
- Documentation style must be neat, organized, and consistent with departmental standards.
- Maintains area of responsibility by practicing good observation skills and attention to detail.
- Physical dexterity, visual and auditory acuity, and sensitivity to changes in environmental conditions are utilized in daily task performance.
- Uses experience and training to make minor decisions to execute daily responsibilities to support animal care operations.
- Applies basic computer skills to maintain regulatory compliance and training to include but not limited to, email, calendar, and computer based training modules.
- Assures duties are completed accurately and in a timely manner not to impact pipeline activities and/or integrity of regulatory expectations.
- Attention to detail to provide good animal welfare.
- Ability to work in compliance with all local, federal, and USDA regulations.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds, consistently stand and walk for extended periods of time, to include walking and adhering to safety rules and expectations including but not limited to: grasping, squeezing, pushing, pulling, squatting, stooping, and bending.
- Problem-solving ability consisting of taking initiative to handle basic issues autonomously and working with team members for more complex issues to support animal care operations.
- High School Diploma Required
- Ability to consistently perform functions consistent with company leadership behaviors and attributes.
- Willing and able to work a rotating schedule which includes some level of mandatory weekend coverage and holiday coverage.
- Good communication skills and the ability to maintain efficiency in the workplace and effective in a team environment.
- 2-5 years experience
Previous animal care experience preferred
NOTES FROM INTAKE CALL
1) What hours and days will this person be working? Mon-Fri 6-2:30pm, every 3rd weekend Sat/Sun 6-2:30pm once trained.
2) What are the top 5 skills/requirements this person is required have?
1: Team Player
2: Attention to detail
3: Great communication skills
3) What years of experience, education, and/or certification are required? High School Diploma Required, previous animal care experience
4) What is a nice to have (but not required) regarding skills, requirements, experience, education, or certification? Certification through AALAS, Previous animal care experience
5) What is the environment that this person will be working in (i.e. group setting vs individual role)? Group setting, animal care facility
6) Is any testing required for this role? No
7) Does this position offer the ability to work remotely on a regular basis or is it an on-site role? If remote opportunity exists, what are the options (i.e. 1 day remote, 4 days on-site)? Onsite
8) Other notable details from the hiring manager about this role: Make sure candidates are fully aware of requirements, hours etc.: Experience with animals is great, petco, petsmart, vet clinic etc.