- Title: Sr. System Planning Engineer
- Code: RCI-237
- Location: White Plains New York (NY) 10601
- Posted Date: 09/10/2020
- Duration: 12 Months
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 908-704-8843 ✖ 412
This role will participate in Transmission Planning analyses to propose NYPA Priority Projects, Public Policy Transmission Need Projects and/or Investment transmission projects. This role will perform reliability analyses to ensure NYPA’s transmission system is reliable and secure for operations. This role will also participate in the reviews of NYISO Interconnection Projects.
Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Understand the operational characteristics of the NYISO Bulk Power Electric system and provide training to lower level staff members.
- Excellent understanding of the Load Flow, Voltage, and Dynamics analysis portions of the Power Technologies, (PTI) Power System Simulator/Electric (PSS/e) program and Power Grid Engineering & Markets (PowerGEM) Transmission Adequacy & Reliability Assessment (TARA).
- Provide technical lead on performing system stability analyses using the PTI PSS/e dynamics program, and accurately assess the results.
- Provide technical lead on conducting analyses of system conditions, system disturbances and system operations in order to assess system performance.
- Provide technical lead on conducting analyses to assess the electric system improvement programs of NYPA’s customers.
- Independently review technical reports and NYISO planning studies.
- Provide Technical support to NYPA's customers including Coops and Municipalities.
- Perform generator interconnection studies under the supervision of Director of Transmission Planning.
- Conduct System Impact Studies (SIS) to conform with NYISO rules for the connection of major projects to the NYCA bulk power transmission system under the supervision of senior Transmission Planning staff.
- Prepare detailed technical reports documenting study work conducted, problems and recommendations for internal management as well as for external entities.
- Recognize NYISO/NPCC/NERC compliance requirements and address compliance issues as required.
- Knowledge of NYPA Transmission Business Unit, NYISO, NYSRC, NPCC, and NERC planning and operation practices and reliability requirements.
- Significant knowledge of PTI/PSS/e Load Flow and Voltage programs and PowerGEM TARA program.
- Significant knowledge of PTI/PSS/e Stability program.
- Significant knowledge of bulk power electric system planning and operation practices, as well as transmission system equipment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to write clear, concise technical reports and papers.
- Ability to provide detailed presentations on technical topics.
- Ability to assess Transmission Planning technical problems and provide timely and accurate solutions and recommendations.
- Capable of recognizing abnormal data variances in evaluation of technical reports and propose/suggest additional actions for correction.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work consisting of several projects in order to meet completion schedules.
- Demonstrate flexibility in changing project requirements, priorities and assignments.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required; Masters of Science in Engineering desirable.
- Minimum 10 years in Planning or an associated field in utility industry.