- The Immunology Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) group is searching for a highly motivated scientist to develop and apply innovative translational modeling & simulation approaches in the Immunology disease area.
- QSP models are mathematical models that are used to integrate knowledge and data on disease pathophysiology and drug pharmacology in a mechanistic manner.
- This enables hypothesis testing and generation in target discovery, translational pharmacology and clinical drug development.
- This position is an exciting opportunity to broadly impact critical decision making in the progression of multi-target drug R&D in Immunology.
- The successful scientist will be working on a highly stimulating and collaborative environment with biologists, clinicians, pharmacometricians, translational medicine scientists, and in-house QSP modelers.
- Drive development and application of novel QSP Immunology models to facilitate back-translation efforts from internal late development programs.
- Function as part of team to develop and rigorously assess the functionality, feasibility, efficiency and validity of new models.
- Conduct extensive literature review to identify suitable mechanistic elements, interactions, rate constants and sub-modules for incorporation into larger systems (pharmacodynamic & efficacy) models.
- Leverage algorithms for parameter optimization and sensitivity analysis.
- Analyze model predictions and identify suitable strategies to resolve issues (whenever occur) pertaining to model performance and inaccuracy.
- Network as appropriate with experts in Translational Medicine, Discovery Biology, Clinical Development, and other groups to share learnings that maximize the translational value of QSP modeling.
- Participate in internal scientific (QSP-related) discussions.
- Build and maintain QSP expertise through a personal track record of publication, attendance/participation in conferences, scientific workshops, etc.
- PhD. in Engineering, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Pharmacometrics, Systems Biology/Pharmacology or a related field with a proven record of productivity as demonstrated by publications and conference presentations.
Key Competency Requirements:
- Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation, including numerical methods, parameter estimation/optimization, and ordinary differential equations (ODEs).
- Experience in building, validating and using QSP models or deterministic models of biological pathways/systems to support basic science and/or translational clinical research would be particularly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial and collaborative attitude.
- Hands-on experience with modeling software like MATLAB is required.
- Experience with general programming and data analysis tools/languages such as R would be particularly desirable.
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop mechanistic disease/pharmacology models.
- Good understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Candidates with previous (academic or industry) experience in QSP or a closely related field are highly encouraged to apply.